Saturday, June 12, 2010

GLSEN-Extended Comments to Jenn's Blog

The GLSEN website is a wonderful resource for teachers, students and the community. This site not only educates the public on the damaging effects of racism and sexism but gives schools and families resources they can use in their community. Jenn, I too was struck by the concept that in this day and age, very few books are published for children with LGBT parents. We educate such diverse society and yet children's books for the most part, remain the same (heterosexual parents). The story you attached The Boy Who Captured the Moon, is a beautiful story to read to all children. I also liked how they attached the discussion questions for children and lessons for teachers to follow from the story. It was nice that they gave a blank page for students to color or to put their own thoughts in about the story. I agree, The Rainbow Rumbus is a great resource for teachers to download stories for our many different families!

The bullying website was also eye-opening. Some of the research done was very sad to say the least. "86.2 of LGBT children are verbally harassed" -and those are the children that came forward. Can you imagine that almost 90% of these children are hearing degrading comments every day! That reminds me of the saying, "sticks and stones will break my bones but calling me names will never hurt me." I believe the verbal damage is just as hurtful if not more, than the physical damage done. The lessons included for the Bully-Free School Zone were also very informative. I agree, The No Name Calling Week is a wonderful resource because it is adaptable for K-8. It was nice to see that the lessons were customized for a variety of ages and teachers can easily adapt them in their classrooms. I too, liked the lesson pages provided for teachers. They included the Bully Free Guide and materials you need for the lesson- (and the district can't say no-it doesn't involve money out of their pockets, all you need is the resource guide they included and some markers and paper!) I especially liked the approaches they included that schools can implement now- anti-bullying policy, staff-trainings, student weeks(where the children pick whats concerning to them- no name calling, ally week,etc.) I believe all schools should implement a program like this where there is zero tolerance for bullying and harassment. "Principals report that 96% of schools have anti-bullying policies but less than half mention sexual orientation (46%) or gender identity and expression. (39%)"

Jenn, nice connection with the TV show: What would you do?! I took the quiz that was included on the site and found myself more confident to speak up to a person who is treating a down syndrome boy poorly then to a friend who wants me to sign a contract on how many drinks I could have at her wedding! Although, I did say that I would approach the manger if I saw a Waiter telling a couple who is same sex to leave the restaurant. Who defends our gay parents? You are right, it is sad that people do not react to the intolerance even when children are involved. It seems people are scared to get involved or speak up, but how will the world ever become a better place if we all just sit around and watch?

1 comment:

  1. I feel bad for those students who have the courage to come forward but then only to be harrassed later. I think it is great that there are organizations, such as GLSEN, to help support those students.

    ReplyDelete